American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Bible Jacob.
- n. Bible The descendants of Jacob.
- n. Judaism The Hebrew people, past, present, and future, regarded as the chosen people of God by virtue of the covenant of Jacob.
- An ancient kingdom of Palestine founded by Saul c. 1025 B.C. After 933 it split into the Northern Kingdom, or kingdom of Israel, and the kingdom of Judah to the south. Israel was overthrown by the Assyrians in 721.
- A country of southwest Asia on the eastern Mediterranean Sea. It was established in 1948 following the British withdrawal from Palestine, which had been divided by recommendation of the United Nations into Jewish and Arab states. Discord with neighboring Arab countries that had rejected the UN partition led to numerous wars, notably in 1948-1949, 1956-1957, 1967, and 1973. In the Six-Day War of 1967 Israel occupied the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Jerusalem's Old City, the Golan Heights, and the Sinai Peninsula. The Golan Heights and Jerusalem were later annexed, and the Sinai was returned to Egypt in 1982. A 1993 Israeli-Palestinian accord granted limited Palestinian autonomy in the Gaza Strip, and a similar accord calling for Palestinian self-rule in the West Bank was signed in 1994. Jerusalem is the capital and Tel Aviv-Yafo the largest city. Population: 6,430,000.
- n. The State of Israel, a modern country in the Middle East, at the eastern shore of the Mediterranean.
- n. The Land of Israel, a region that is roughly coextensive with the State of Israel.
- n. historical A nation that occupied roughly the same area in ancient times.
- n. historical An ancient kingdom that occupied the northern part of this area, as distinct from Judah.
- n. The Jews, taken collectively.
- n. biblical A name given to Jacob (Genesis 32:28).
- n. A male given name.
- n. an ancient kingdom of the Hebrew tribes at the southeastern end of the Mediterranean Sea; founded by Saul around 1025 BC and destroyed by the Assyrians in 721 BC
- n. Jewish republic in southwestern Asia at eastern end of Mediterranean; formerly part of Palestine
- From Hebrew יִשְׂרָאֵל (yisra'él, "Israel"), which, in Biblical Hebrew, means "he who wrestles with God" (a Biblical name for Jacob after he wrestles with an adversary). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English, from Latin, from Greek Israēl, from Hebrew yiśrā'ēl, God has striven, God has saved : yiśrā, he has striven, saved; see śry in Semitic roots + 'ēl, God; see אl in Semitic roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Until recently, the @Israel Twitter account belonged to Israel Melendez, a Miami man who owns a pornographic website.”
“As we are discussing the charter itself, regardless of what Mr. Haniye SAYS (Muslims also condone lying if its to the enemy), even the Wikipedia quote says "Hamas's charter calls for REPLACING THE STATE OF ISRAEL (my capitals) with a Palestinian Islamic state in the area that is now Israel, the West Bank, and the Gaza Strip”
“Diary Entry by kwalsh (about the author) yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = '"Israel disputes this" no it doesn\'t'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Most comments in the media about settlement construction in the occupied territories which state the settlements are illegal under international law end with comment \'Israel disputes this\'.”
“EXODUS ISRAEL In essence, the nation within the pre-1967 borders of the state of Israel.”
“Wayne Madsen: Israel hopes to colonize parts of Iraq as Greater Israel”
“OpEdNews - Quicklink: Wayne Madsen: Israel hopes to colonize parts of Iraq as Greater Israel”
“MICHAEL OREN, OFFICER, ISRAEL DEFENSE FORCE: I think Israel learned some very important lessons from Lebanon, Fareed, some very bitter lessons from Lebanon.”
“TZIPI LIVNI, ISRAEL FOREIGN MINISTER: They targeted last week a school in Beersheba, in Israel.”
“ARYE MEKEL, ISRAEL CONSUL GENERAL, NEW YORK: For us, for Israel, it's a huge boost to our morale, feeling that fellow Jews around the world are not deterred.”
“MIRI EISIN, ISRAEL GOVERNMENT SPOKESWOMAN: Israel for the last six years has gone through cycles with Hezbollah.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Israel’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
ABM Agreement, accession to a co..., accession to a tr..., accession to an a..., achievement of peace, ACP-EC Convention, advanced technolo..., aerospace industry, African organisation, aggression, agreement, agricultural coop... and 851 more...
Tired of singing the same carols year after year? Wanna mix it up a little? Now you can, with the Do-it-yourself Christmas Carol List (from the creator of the Doo-it-yourself Doowop List). Just mix...
A complete list of the red cards (things) from the popular word game.
My vocabulary for my research project on the Israel-Palestine conflict.
Looking for tweets for Israel.