from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A building or an apartment used for the preparing and baking of bread and other baked goods.
- n. A building principally containing ovens.
- n. Bakery.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A house for baking; a bakery.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A building or an apartment used for the preparing and baking of bread, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a workplace where baked goods (breads and cakes and pastries) are produced or sold
From Middle English bakhous, bachous, from Old English bæchūs ("bakery, bakehouse"), equivalent to bake + house. Cognate with Scots bake-hous ("bakehouse, bakery"), Low German backhus ("bakehouse"). (Wiktionary)