American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Heraldry The color red, indicated on a blazon by vertical lines.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In heraldry, the tincture red: in representations without color, as in drawing or engraving, it is indicated by vertical lines drawn close together.
- n. heraldry The blazoning term for red, e.g. on a coat of arms, typically represented in engraving by vertical parallel lines.
- adj. heraldry In blazon, of the colour red.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Her.) The tincture red, indicated in seals and engraved figures of escutcheons by parallel vertical lines. Hence, used poetically for a red color or that which is red.
- From Old French geule ("animal’s mouth, throat") via Middle French geules. Compare with French gueules and Spanish gules. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English goules, from Old French, red fur neckpiece, pl. of gole, throat, from Latin gula. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The scribe uses non-standard language to indicate the colors normally, they would be azure, or, and gules, but what he is describing is a sapphire-blue shield cut diagonally by a yellow-topaz band, over which the ruby-red fencepost-like design has been laid.”
“To honor his Mother, Prince William has added a red scallop shell "escallop gules", prominent in the Spencer ancestors' coats of arms.”
“It's like being a medieval knight, but instead of having rampant gules and lion resplendent, you have green for Tehran awareness on a background of gray for Aphasia and Brown for Anti-Tobacco.”
““Show him a coat and let him blazon it his own way,” said the Duke; “and if he fails, I promise him that his back shall be gules, azure, and sable.””
“The coolest flag, as seen through the eyes of a third grade boy: definitely Mozambique, on which we see an AK-47 vying with a hoe atop a chagrined and retiring book or in heraldic terms, AK-47 rampant with hoe per saltire a gules.”
“We bear an eagle or, on a field sable, with a silver crown, beak and claws gules, and a fine motto: NON CECIDIT ANIMUS.”
“Lucien went on, “that I now bear gules, a bull raging argent on a meadow vert.””
“The ducal house bears gules, three broad axes or in fess, with the famous motto: Caveo non timeo, which epitomizes the history of the family.”
“The three mullets on a gules wavy reversed, surmounted by the sinople couchant Or; the well-known cognizance of the house, blazed in gorgeous heraldry on”
“Yes, there they were: argent, a bend gules, with four escallops of the field, — the ancient coat of my house.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gules’.
A selected sampling of words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
tiara's color lists rebuilt :)
( visual, colors, red, descriptive, randomness )
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
any and all things heraldry related.
A list of words with definitions containing the phrase "used poetically."
Words and phrases used in blazoning heraldic devices, along with names and other terms associated with the art and science.
Other similar lists can be found on Wordnik, especially that...
Just what it sounds like. My favorites. Five letters.
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Looking for tweets for gules.