American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Covered with rust; corroded.
- adj. Consisting of or produced by rust.
- adj. Of a yellowish-red or brownish-red color.
- adj. Working or operating stiffly or incorrectly because of or as if because of rust.
- adj. Weakened or impaired by neglect, disuse, or lack of practice.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Covered or affected with rust: as, a rusty knife or sword.
- Consisting of rust; hence, having the appearance or effect of rust: as, rusty stains.
- Covered, incrusted, or stained with a dirty substance resembling rust; hence, filthy; specifically, as applied to grain, affected with the rust-disease: as, rusty wheat.
- In botany and zoology, of the color of rust; rubiginous; ferruginous.
- Red or yellow, as fish when the brine in which they are prepared evaporates. Fat fish, like herrings, mackerel, or halibut-fins, often turn rusty.
- Having lost the original gloss or luster; time-worn; shabby: as, a rusty black; clothes rusty at the seams.
- Out of practice; dulled in skill or knowledge through disuse or inactivity.
- Causing rust; rendering dull or inactive.
- Rough; hoarse; harsh; grating: as, a rusty voice.
- To make rusty; rust.
- Same as reasty for reasted.
- Stubborn: same as resty for restive.
- Uncivil; surly.
- adj. Affected by rust.
- adj. Of the rust color, reddish or reddish-brown.
- adj. Having red or reddish-brown hair.
- adj. Lacking recent experience, out of practice, especially with respect to a skill or activity.
- adj. discolored and rancid; reasty
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Covered or affected with rust.
- adj. Impaired by inaction, disuse, or neglect.
- adj. Discolored and rancid; reasty.
- adj. Obs. or Prov. Eng. Surly; morose; crusty; sullen.
- adj. Rust-colored; dark.
- adj. Discolored; stained; not cleanly kept; filthy.
- adj. (Bot.) Resembling, or covered with a substance resembling, rust; affected with rust; rubiginous.
- adj. covered with or consisting of rust
- adj. impaired in skill by neglect
- adj. ancient.
- adj. of the brown color of rust
- rust + -y (Wiktionary)
“That's probably what they call a rusty car or a banger or something.”
“This week's aptitude test might be a little easy today, since I'm a little rusty from the ol 'vaca.”
“The XR 10 and 12 in rusty crawdad and perch also worked great.”
“Finding beauty in something old and rusty is wabi-sabi.”
“Above them, in skies which hold a brilliant, cloudless blue, squadrons of geese fly south, calling their rusty adieux.”
“The general mourning forbade bright colours, but Aline had carefully avoided providing anything that could recall the rusty monastic black.”
“Hark! methinks I hear the work begun; the blacks have sought for allies and have found them in the wilderness, and have called the rusty savages to their assistance, and are preparing to take revenge upon their haughty masters.”
“When she left him, and he sat at his breakfast, thinking about the furniture, he recalled the rusty state of the padlock, and inferred that the furniture must have been stored in the cellar for a long time -- was perhaps forgotten -- owner dead perhaps?”
“When she left him, and he sat at his breakfast, thinking about the furniture, he recalled the rusty state of the padlock, and inferred that the furniture must have been stored in the cellars for a long time --- was perhaps forgotten --- owner dead, perhaps?”
“He burst into a fit of laughter, which called the rusty hinges into violent action and produced a groan.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rusty’.
R words? Really? Right on!
Words from Derek Jarman's garden
Words that have been used as baby names, including virtue names, nature names, place names, etc.
The title is an actual name given to a Puritan boy in the 17th century.
Adjectives used in actual (non-taxonomic) bird names, past and present.
A complement to Chromonyms and Chromonyms 2, which are restricted to nouns that have appeared in at least one dictionary. If a word can be either a noun or an adjective, I list it as a noun. This l...
Words related to red.
Looking for tweets for rusty.