from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not common or usual: "The legislature has produced a new budget of unaccustomed austerity” ( People).
- adj. Not being habituated. Used with to: is still unaccustomed to a life of stress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not prepared by life experience to an event or thing, not accustomed
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not used; not habituated; unfamiliar; unused; -- with to.
- adj. Not usual; uncommon; strange; new.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not accustomed; not used; not made familiar or habituated.
- Not according to custom; not familiar; unusual; extraordinary; strange.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not habituated to; unfamiliar with
- adj. not customary or usual
“Cicero must be really desperate,” he said, with an expression of unaccustomed seriousness, “to ask for help from me.
Moreover, having very little idea of the lapse of time -- being quite unaccustomed, that is, to reckon events from any fixed era -- primitive man cannot have gained at once a clear conception of age as applied to his fellows.
Even now he recalled the unaccustomed world when he woke up, the strange feeling it had given him.
This, according to the historian Kerby Miller, was due to the fact that the early Irish immigrants were simply “unaccustomed to work practices in their adopted country.”
But still, how to initiate such unaccustomed intercourse?
That's a somewhat bizarre way of making the point, perhaps, at least for those of us unaccustomed to dressing fruit, but his views are clear enough.
Each photograph documents an encounter shot through with unaccustomed desires.
Bella - So you guys feel unaccustomed cold air and think that makes climate change a crock.
Wyatt-That unaccustomed cold air is called WINTER.
So you guys feel unaccustomed cold air and think that makes climate change a crock.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.