from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of fire.
- adj. Geology Formed by solidification from a molten state. Used of rocks.
- adj. Geology Of or relating to rock so formed; pyrogenic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to, having the nature of fire; containing fire; resembling fire; as, an igneous appearance
- adj. Resulting from, or produced by, the action of great heat; with rocks, it could also mean formed from lava/magma; as, granite and basalt are igneous rocks
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, having the nature of, fire; containing fire; resembling fire.
- adj. Resulting from, or produced by, the action of fire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, consisting of, having the nature of, or resembling fire: as. igneous particles; igneous appearances.
- Produced through the agency of fire, or as the result of volcanic and eruptive forces: used in geology in contradistinction to aqueous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. like or suggestive of fire
- adj. produced by the action of fire or intense heat
- adj. produced under conditions involving intense heat
From Latin igneus, from ignis, fire.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin igneus, from ignis fire; allied to Sanskrit agni, Lithuanian ugnis, Old Slavic ogne (Wiktionary)