American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An Afrikaans-speaking South African of European ancestry, especially one descended from 17th-century Dutch settlers.
- n. A member of an ethnic group of northwestern European ancestry and associated with southern Africa and the Afrikaans language.
- n. A breed of cattle, aka Afrikander.
- n. a white native of Cape Province who is a descendant of Dutch settlers and who speaks Afrikaans
- adj. belonging or relating to white people of South Africa whose ancestors were Dutch or to their language
- Afrikaans, from Dutch, from Afrikaan, an African, from Latin Āfricānus, from Āfrica, Africa, from Āfer, Āfr-, an African. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The term Afrikaner was not limited to colour but was an inclusive term, Renier Schoeman, executive director of the National”
“Some had their titles written in English, but more in the German-looking language that had also produced the phrase Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging.”
“An Afrikaner is a South African of certain European ancestry, especially Dutch.”
“The charge arises from an incident last year where he allegedly called Afrikaner student leaders "white dogs" during a Freedom”
“Commissioner George Fivaz said Jan Sebastiaan de Wet, 41, was arrested outside the West Rand town of Randfontein on the property of a so-called Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging general, Japie Oelofse.”
“Rand town of Randfontein on the property of a so-called Afrikaner”
“Whites continued to be imprisoned by notions of white supremacy, Mandela said, and by the notion of Afrikaner interests that were separate and opposed to the interests of the rest of the population.”
“Pikkie Robbertze said the idea of Afrikaner self-determination was not new.”
“He added the African National Congress and National Party had never really intended to give Afrikaners a "volkstaat" (nation state) and that the idea of such a separate state had been falsely based on the belief that the Afrikaner was a nation on its own.”
“The national conference of the Afrikanerbond - previously known as the Afrikaner-Broederbond - is its first on reconstruction and development.”
Looking for tweets for Afrikaner.