from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lower in rank; junior.
- n. One of lesser rank than another, especially an associate judge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Inferior in rank. A puisne justice of a court is a judge other than the chief justice.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Later in age, time, etc.; subsequent.
- adj. Puny; petty; unskilled.
- adj. Younger or inferior in rank; junior; associate
- n. One who is younger, or of inferior rank; a junior; esp., a judge of inferior rank.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In law, younger or inferior in rank.
- Same aspuny, 2.
- n. A junior; an inferior; specifically, in law, a judge of inferior rank.
Old French puisne : puis, afterward (ultimately from Latin post; see apo- in Indo-European roots) + ne, born (from Latin nātus, past participle of nāscī, to be born; see genə- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French puisné, now obsolete form of puîne, contraction of puis ("later") + né ("born"). Related to puny. (Wiktionary)