from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Made certain; guaranteed: an assured income.
- adj. Exhibiting confidence or authority: paints with an assured hand.
- adj. Chiefly British Insured.
- n. See insured.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of assure.
- adj. Guaranteed
- adj. Confident.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Made sure; safe; insured; certain; indubitable; not doubting; bold to excess.
- n. One whose life or property is insured.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Certain; sure; indubitable; undoubted: as, “an assured experience,” Bacon, Nat. Hist.
- Bold; confident; self-possessed.
- Insured; having one's life or goods insured.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by certainty or security
- adj. marked by assurance; exhibiting confidence
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He quickly drew it forth, and a single glance at its title assured him it was indeed the object of his search.
His election to a new term assured by a surprising upset victory over Thomas E. Dewey, Truman turned his attention to the future.
They allege that Dain assured them they could buy the lots with no money down and make no payments for two years, and in the meantime flip the properties for certain profit.
'Diary of a Geek' challenged Mr Dale to provide a copy of his Labour Party membership card, however Iain assured us that it was 'in the post'.
The output of the fuel cell, at least, we are assured is clean. * smiles*
You need not be again assured that my respects to Mr B. and Children are regularly posted with this, And Adding to the ring your affectionate Mother.
All we are assured is that there explicit teachings are not in error.
NASA went on to kill another seven when thier engineers once again assured everybody that foam cannot damage a wing.
The win assured USC (11-1, 8-1 Pac-10) of an unprecedented seventh consecutive BCS bid, seven straight 11-win seasons and seven conference championships in a row.
It was sold as an health and safety issue but the real reason, I was assured, is because the optical illusion effect makes it look like there are more Police on the street than there actually is.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.