American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A stock character in commedia dell'arte and pantomime, depicted as a boastful coward or buffoon.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A buffoon in Italian comedy and farce, a cowardly braggadocio who is beaten by Harlequin. The character is often adopted in masquerades, with a dress usually of black, and grotesquely ornamented.
- n. Alternative form of Scaramouche.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A personage in the old Italian comedy (derived from Spain) characterized by great boastfulness and poltroonery; hence, a person of like characteristics; a buffoon.
- n. a stock character in commedia dell'arte depicted as a boastful coward
- French Scaramouche, from Italian Scaramuccia, from scaramuccia, skirmish; see sker-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Some are pretty easy there just aren't that many rock songs that actually have the word "Scaramouch" in the lyrics, but other will annoy over coffee.”
“The ambassador was not dissatisfied with the impression he had made on one of the foreign correspondents of the "Chuck-Farthing," and the minister flattered himself that both the literary and the graphic representations of himself in "Scaramouch" might possibly for the future be mitigated.”
“He wrote for 'Scaramouch' some little time, but they can stand it no more.”
“They carried candles and wore masks: an eggshell face with antlers; a patchwork harlequin; a Casanova; a Scaramouch.”
“You're killin me, Angus, you really are. said Scaramouch on May 19, 2008 11:47 AM.”
“It's a little scary. said Scaramouch on February 27, 2008 2:28 PM.”
“Nice lowering of the tone there, baierman. said Scaramouch on April 23, 2008 4:48 PM.”
“Am I Bobby or Jack? said Scaramouch on January 23, 2008 12:14 AM.”
“How much does a Hooker in the living room charge? said Scaramouch on January 18, 2008 4:27 PM.”
“Plus - it's about time we got the real version of no-holds barred Rollerball. said Scaramouch on May 10, 2008 11:04 PM.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Scaramouch’.
Looking for tweets for Scaramouch.