American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A woman's garment having capelike arm pieces.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A long robe, open in front, and having narrow sleeves buttoned at the wrist, worn by the Turks over their other garments.
- n. The uniform jacket of a hussar, richly ornamented with braid, and peculiar in that it is worn like a cloak with one or both sleeves hanging loose.
- n. An outer garment worn by women, with a cape or hanging piece over the arm instead of a sleeve; a kind of mantle.
- n. A loose garment with narrow sleeves and an opening in the front
- n. A woman’s garment with wide capelike sleeves
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A long robe or outer garment, with long sleeves, worn by the Turks.
- n. A woman's cloak with capelike pieces instead of sleeves.
- n. The uniform jacket of many European hussar regiments, worn like a cloak, fastened with a cord or chain, and with sleeves hanging loose.
- n. a hussar's jacket worn over the shoulders
- n. a woman's cloak with dolman sleeves
- French, from German, from Hungarian dolmány, ultimately from Turkish dolaman. (Wiktionary)
- French, from German, from Hungarian dolmany, from Turkish dōlāmān, robe, from dolamak, to wind. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“*** A dolman is a garment, similar to a jacket, that was cut especially to sit over a bustle.”
“Combine that with my pretty severe short waistedness and I had set-in "dolman" sleeves that came out of my waist.”
“American Eagle Outfitters' Aerie brand merchandises sweatpants, leggings and other relaxed styles with a variety of shirts, including those with asymmetrical hems or dolman sleeves.”
“Below, our picks for the best dolman sleeve dresses that'll look good on you, too:”
“Sidibe really knows how to dress her shape, in this bright Tommy Hilfiger dolman sleeve wrap dress, with long necklaces draped over it.”
“Leave it to Victoria's Secret to make a dolman sleeve dress that has a roomy upper half, but is still completely sexy.”
“You can purchase the ‘incredible truckstop dolman dress’ for wait…”
“A melange of deep purple, midnight blue and rich copper, this dolman oversized sweater is perfect for the friend who adores oversized, eye-catching knits.”
“For instance, if your closet is filled with neutrals, a juicy persimmon shawl-collared coat with dolman sleeves is just the right prescription.”
“Especially the Princess lines and the dolman sleeves together -- I think that looks so "modern," in the retro sense of the word.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dolman’.
Please contribute your favorite words from any of Gene Wolfe’s books to this prize-winning list.
In case you come across words in this list which are too commonplace to fit in, please ...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
... as in "by James Joyce"
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Do as your mom says and put on a jacket.
found in the wild (i.e., not on Wordie!)
words looked up while copyediting for this magazine
The 5 words contest is a parlor game where people respond to the challenge to come up with a sentence which contains 5 specified words determined by the challenger (and makes a degree of sense). Sa...
Looking for tweets for dolman.