from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Grass seed shaken out of hay.
- n. Pieces of chaff or straw that fall from hay.
- n. Slang A bumpkin; a yokel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Seeds from grass that has become hay.
- n. Cruft from bits of hay that sticks to clothing, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a rural, unsophisticated person; also used in an extended sense for one who is not very intelligent or uninterested in culture.
- n. Seed from grass, especially that which falls out of hay.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Grass-seed.
- n. The redseed, brit, etc., upon which mackerel, menhaden, and other fish largely feed.
- n. A countryman; austic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who is not very intelligent or interested in culture
hay + seed (Wiktionary)