American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that scrubs, especially:
- n. One who cleans floors, for example, by scrubbing.
- n. A brush, appliance, or abrasive that is used in cleaning.
- n. An apparatus that is used for removing impurities from a gas.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An animal which breaks away from the herd, and runs wild in the scrub, generally coming out at night to feed in the open; in the plural, scrub-cattle.
- n. One who scrubs; specifically, one of a scrub-gang aboard ship.
- n. A scrubbing-brush.
- n. An apparatus for freeing coal-gas from tarry impurities and ammonia. It consists of a tower filled with loose materials over which water trickles. The gas is caused to rise through the falling water, and is purified during the ascent. The tar-impregnated water is subsequently treated to recover the ammonia.
- n. In leather manufacturing, a machine for washing leather after it comes from the tan-pits.
- n. A person or appliance that cleans floors etc by scrubbing
- n. A device that removes impurities from gases
- n. UK, slang A prostitute, or a slovenly woman
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who, or that which, scrubs; esp., a brush or machine used in scrubbing.
- n. (Gas Manuf.) A gas washer. See under Gas.
- n. (Manufacturing) a device for removing pollutants from a gas stream, especially for removing sulfur oxides from processes burning coal or oil.
- n. a stunted or emaciated steer.
- n. Australian A person who lives in the bush.
- n. Australian A domesticated animal which has escaped and lives wild in the bush.
- n. a worker who uses a scrub brush to clean a surface (usually a floor or deck)
- n. a brush with short stiff bristles for heavy cleaning
- n. a purifier that removes impurities from a gas
- scrub + -er (Wiktionary)
“Ants have armoured skin, which when added as fragments and shattered carapaces, imparts all the goodness of a skin scrubber.”
“The scrubber, which is still in development now, it means that removing one ton of carbon a day is likely just the beginning because it ` s still in development.”
“The scrubber is a vessel containing in its lower part water, W, supplied by a pipe, and having an overflow.”
“This case involves the installation of a wet flue gas desulphurization system (also known as a "scrubber") at Merrimack Station, an electricity generating facility in Bow owned by the appellee, Public Service Company of New Hampshire (PSNH).”
“A machine called a scrubber cleans gases of contaminants.”
“General features include easy to use spreadsheeting, do not call scrubber, import and export call list.”
“Charbroil, but instead uses a nested scrubber, which is very much like a scouring pad or a”
“That ... again, that project is on time and on budget and then we have a flue gas scrubber, which is going to be done about the same time, fall 2009. $34 million project, we have $13 million to date and will spend $6 million in the fourth quarter and $15 million in 2009.”
“In 2006, the New Hampshire legislature voted (unanimously) to authorize the installation of a mercury "scrubber" which will reduce the plant's mercury emissions.”
“You wrote a lovely review of Songes by Annick Goutal a while back, and because you are the Oracle as far as I'm concerned I was surprised that I found it to be a definite "scrubber" on me.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘scrubber’.
List of laboratory glassware and apparatuses, machines, tools, etc., starting with burette.
Please feel free to help me populate this list, all you mad scientist Wordniks.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
WARNING: VERY EXPLICIT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
funny derogatory names, quotes, phrases.
( open list, randomness, ad hom, ad hominem )
buttfucking quitter, dirty sanchez, donkey punch, falcon punch, assbadger, unicorn turd, assclown, fudgenut, quackery, friggin homo, buttmuncher, jackwagon and 274 more...
From Cloudstreet by Tim Winton. Expect lots of new-to-me words and/or just pleasing words encountered in this book, perhaps mostly Australian slang.
Looking for tweets for scrubber.