from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chemical compound containing aluminum as part of a negative ion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A compound, containing aluminium and oxygen with more electropositive elements, that is a salt of the hypothetical aluminic acid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A compound formed from the hydrate of aluminium by the substitution of a metal for the hydrogen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To treat or impregnate with alum; specifically, in printing engravings, to wash (the paper) with alum-water to prevent the running of the lines.
- n. A salt in which alumina acts toward the stronger bases as an acid. Sodium aluminate is used as a mordant. The mineral spinel is a magnesium aluminate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a compound of alumina and a metallic oxide
Sorry, no etymologies found.