Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A compound in which a hydrogen atom of alcohol is replaced by an alkali metal, as potassium alcoholate, or ethylate, C2H5OK, formed, with evolution of hydrogen, when metallic potassium is dissolved in alcohol. Sometimes contracted to alcoate, alcohate.
- n. obsolete, chemistry A crystalline salt containing alcohol in place of water of crystallization.
- n. An alcoholic extract of plant material; a tincture.
- n. organic chemistry An alkoxide.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A crystallizable compound of a salt with alcohol, in which the latter plays a part analogous to that of water of crystallization.
“The essence and the alcoholate are also employed, the former obtained by distillation, the latter by macerating the fresh seeds in alcohol.”
‘alcoholate’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for alcoholate.