from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A soldier equipped with a rifle.
- n. One who shoots a rifle skillfully.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soldier trained to use a rifle as their primary weapon.
- n. A person especially skilled in the use of a rifle.
- n. A small wrenlike insectivorous passerine bird endemic to New Zealand, Acanthisitta chloris, the titipounamu.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A soldier armed with a rifle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man armed with a rifle; a man skilled in shooting with the rifle; military, formerly, a member of a body armed with the rifle when most of the infantry had muskets.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone skilled in the use of a rifle
- n. a soldier whose weapon is a rifle
rifle + -man (Wiktionary)