from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
- n. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who carries the professional title of sniper
- n. A person using long-range small arms for precise attacks from a concealed position.
- n. Any attacker using a non-contact weapon against a specific target from a concealed position.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who shoots snipe.
- n. An irregular fighter; a sharp-shooter. See snipe, intransitive verb, 2.
- n. A prospector.
- n. One who noses logs before they are skidded. See nose, 5.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a marksman who shoots at people from a concealed place
snipe + -er (Wiktionary)