from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of the British Grenadier Guards, the first regiment of the royal household infantry.
- n. A soldier who is a member of a special corps or regiment.
- n. A soldier equipped with grenades.
- n. Any of various deep-sea fishes of the family Macrouridae, having a long tapering tail and lacking a tail fin. Also called rat-tail.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of soldier, originally one who threw grenades, later a member of a company formed from the tallest men of the regiment; now specifically, a member of the Grenadier Guards.
- n. Any of various African weaverbirds or waxbills, especially the common grenadier or the red bishop.
- n. Any of various deep-sea fish of the family Macrouridae that have a large head and body and a long tapering tail; a rat-tail.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Originaly, a soldier who carried and threw grenades; afterward, one of a company attached to each regiment or battalion, taking post on the right of the line, and wearing a peculiar uniform. In modern times, a member of a special regiment or corps; one of the regiment of Grenadier Guards of the British army, etc.
- n. Any marine fish of the genus Macrurus, in which the body and tail taper to a point; they mostly inhabit the deep sea; -- called also onion fish, and rat-tail fish.
- n. A bright-colored South African grosbeak (Pyromelana orix), having the back red and the lower parts black.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Originally, a soldier who threw hand-grenades.
- n. A South African weaver-bird, Ploceus (Pyromelana) oryx: so called from its brilliant red and black plumage.
- n. A fish, Macrurus fabricii or M. rupestris, found in deep water of the North Atlantic. Also called rattail.
- n. plural The family Macruridæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. deep-sea fish with a large head and body and long tapering tail
- n. an infantryman equipped with grenades
French, from grenade, grenade; see grenade.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French grenadier, corresponding to grenade + -ier. (Wiktionary)