from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or constituting a legion.
- n. A soldier of a legion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to, or consisting of a legion or legions.
- adj. Containing a great number.
- n. A soldier belonging to a legion; a professional soldier of the ancient Roman army.
- n. A member of a legion, such as the American Legion, or of any organization containing the term legion in its title (e.g. the French Foreign Legion).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Belonging to a legion; consisting of a legion or legions, or of an indefinitely great number
- n. A member of a legion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or consisting of a legion or legions: as, legionary discipline; a legionary soldier; a legionary force.
- Containing a great number.
- n. One of a legion; especially, a Roman soldier belonging to a legion or a subaltern member of the Legion of Honor.
- n. The neuter of a kind of red ant: so named by Huber. It is probably the neuter of Polyergus rufescens, a slave-making species.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a soldier who is a member of a legion (especially the French Foreign Legion)
Sorry, no etymologies found.