from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that watches or observes: a fire watcher; a watcher of Sino-American relations.
- n. One who keeps vigil, as at a sick person's bedside.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. someone who watches or observes
- n. someone who keeps vigil
- n. a guard
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who watches; one who sits up or continues; a diligent observer; specifically, one who attends upon the sick during the night.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which watches.
- n. One who keeps awake for the purpose of guarding or attending upon something or some one; a nurse, watch man, sentry, or the like.
- n. One who observes: as, a watcher of the time.
- n. A spy; one sent to watch an enemy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a close observer; someone who looks at something (such as an exhibition of some kind)
- n. a guard who keeps watch
- n. a person who keeps a devotional vigil by a sick bed or by a dead body
watch + -er (Wiktionary)