from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A policeman who patrols or polices an assigned area.
- n. One who patrols an assigned area.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A police officer, especially a junior one who does patrol instead of detection or supervising other policemen.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who patrols; a watchman; especially, a policeman who patrols a particular precinct of a town or city.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the police force of a town or city who patrols a certain “beat”; one of the patrol; a policeman; specifically, in some large cities of the United States, a member of the principal body of the police force ranking below a roundsman.
- n. Hence One who goes over a certain course examining something, as the condition of an electric circuit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a policeman who patrols a given region
patrol + man (Wiktionary)