American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A policeman who patrols or polices an assigned area.
- n. One who patrols an assigned area.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the police force of a town or city who patrols a certain “beat”; one of the patrol; a policeman; specifically, in some large cities of the United States, a member of the principal body of the police force ranking below a roundsman.
- n. Hence One who goes over a certain course examining something, as the condition of an electric circuit.
- n. A police officer, especially a junior one who does patrol instead of detection or supervising other policemen.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who patrols; a watchman; especially, a policeman who patrols a particular precinct of a town or city.
- n. a policeman who patrols a given region
- patrol + man (Wiktionary)
“A patrolman from a small suburban police force spotted him walking down a tree-lined street, holding what looked like an open bottle of beer.”
“At first Contos looks back from his boat without offering help but later returns and plucks the patrolman from the water.”
“And if Officer Eliseo was serious about community beautification, he might want to excuse himself from the premises: the disheveled, paunchy patrolman is in quick need of a decent haircut and a girdle.”
“You realize with a start that the highway patrolman is after YOU.”
“Come to think of it when I put it that way, I prefer the system here to California´s rigorously honest system where there is no way you are going to bribe a highway patrolman.”
“Imagine, for a moment, that you were us and, had it not been for a sharp eyed highway patrolman, a heavily armed man in full body armor would have made it to your office with the intent to kill you and your colleagues.”
“Clouds of them fled the scene around the time of the incident turning the day into twilight, but no one made the association until a patrolman passing by spotted a corpse on the loading dock.”
“In Wednesday's case, a patrolman, Melvin Williams, was found guilty of kicking and beating with a baton Raymond Robair and submitting a false report about the incident.”
“At night, his stall and barn are locked and a patrolman keeps watch outside.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘patrolman’.
Everything that contains a man in it
Looking for tweets for patrolman.