from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly British An enlisted soldier.
- n. Chiefly British A commissioned officer who has been promoted from enlisted status.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. comparative form of rank: more rank
- n. One who ranks things, or arranges them in ranks.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who ranks, or disposes in ranks; one who arranges.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who ranks or arranges; one who disposes in ranks.
- n. A military officer who has risen or been promoted from the ranks.
- n. A man in the ranks.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a commissioned officer who has been promoted from enlisted status
- n. an enlisted soldier who serves in the ranks of the armed forces
Sorry, no etymologies found.