from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man employed to attend the entrance of a hotel, apartment house, or other building.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man who holds open the door at the entrance to a building, summons taxicabs, and provides an element of security; in apartment buildings, he also accepts deliveries and may perform certain concierge type services.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. someone who guards the entrance to a building.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An officer or attendant stationed at a door to guard it, maintain order, etc.; a doorkeeper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who guards an entrance
Sorry, no etymologies found.