American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A woman who serves at a table, as in a restaurant. See Usage Note at -ess.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman who waits at table: originally used only of one who served in a place of public entertainment.
- n. A female attendant who serves customers in a restaurant, café, or similar.
- v. To work as a waitress.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A female waiter or attendant; a waiting maid or waiting woman.
- n. a woman waiter
- v. serve as a waiter or waitress in a restaurant
- waiter + -ess (Wiktionary)
“* stood waiting for a seat for 5 minutes, I had to approach someone and ask to be seated* sat waiting 20 minutes for a waitress, I had to request a waitress* after ordering drinks was told”
“The dazzling part with the waitress is the biggest part I missed.”
“With little planning and even less foresight, he hangs up his shingle and hires his favorite waitress from the local diner to be his Girl Friday.”
“Here's the Ga-Ga Factor: the waitress is non-threatening.”
“The pretty waitress is Arab and she walked up to him and said “HI”.”
“When a waitress is killed, Patrick figures out a clever way to trap the murderer.”
“Actually, that waitress is just permanently cranky.”
“What do you call a waitress getting treatment for her cancer?”
“Deal with those issues - the way men often assume that a waitress is on the menu, for example.”
“The common way of addressing a waitress is señorita, regardless of her age or marital status; a waiter is addressed as señor.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘waitress’.
words with the suffix -ess
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Problematic and recommended terms according to the EP's guide on gender neutral language use
gender-neutral la..., biased, discriminatory, demeaning, political correct..., gender equality, gender neutrality, sexist language, masculine gender, inclusive form, generic form, discriminate agai... and 103 more...
Maids of all stripes.
Looking for tweets for waitress.