from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman who serves at a table, as in a restaurant. See Usage Note at -ess.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A female attendant who serves customers in a restaurant, café, or similar.
- v. To work as a waitress.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A female waiter or attendant; a waiting maid or waiting woman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman who waits at table: originally used only of one who served in a place of public entertainment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman waiter
- v. serve as a waiter or waitress in a restaurant
waiter + -ess (Wiktionary)