from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A guard, especially a soldier posted at a given spot to prevent the passage of unauthorized persons.
- n. The duty of a sentry; watch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A guard, particularly on duty at the entrance to a military base.
- n. Sentry duty; time spent being a sentry.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A soldier placed on guard; a sentinel.
- n. Guard; watch, as by a sentinel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A place of watch; a watch-tower.
- n. Watch; guard: same as sentinel, 1.
- n. One stationed as a guard: same as sentinel, 2.
- Acting as a sentry; watching.
- n. Same as centry, center.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person employed to keep watch for some anticipated event
Perhaps alteration of obsolete sentrinel, variant of sentinel.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)