from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Somebody employed to operate the signals and points of a railway.
- n. A member of the armed forces responsible for signalling.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man whose business is to manage or display signals; especially, one employed in setting the signals by which railroad trains are run or warned.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One whose duty it is to convey intelligence, notice, warning, or the like by means of signals; a signaler; in nautical or military service, one who makes signals and reads or interprets the signals received; an expert in signals.
- n. In lumbering, one who transmits orders from the foreman of a yarding-crew to the engineer of the yarding-donkey.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a railroad employee in charge of signals and point in a railroad yard
Sorry, no etymologies found.