from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A paved walkway along the side of a street.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a paved footpath at the side of a road for the use of pedestrians; a pavement (UK) or footpath (Australia)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A walk for foot passengers at the side of a street or road; a foot pavement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A footwalk by the side of a street or road; specifically, a paved or otherwise prepared way for pedestrians in a town, usually separated from the roadway by a curb and gutter. Also (in Great Britain nearly always) called pavement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. walk consisting of a paved area for pedestrians; usually beside a street or roadway
From side + walk. (Wiktionary)