from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A covered platform, usually having a separate roof, at an entrance to a building.
- n. An open or enclosed gallery or room attached to the outside of a building; a verandah.
- n. Obsolete A portico or covered walk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A covered and enclosed entrance to a building, whether taken from the interior, and forming a sort of vestibule within the main wall, or projecting without and with a separate roof.
- n. A portico; a covered walk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A covered and inclosed entrance to a building, whether taken from the interior, and forming a sort of vestibule within the main wall, or projecting without and with a separate roof. Sometimes the porch is large enough to serve as a covered walk. See also Carriage porch, under carriage, and loggia.
- n. A portico; a covered walk.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In architecture, an exterior appendage to a building, forming a covered approach or vestibule to a doorway; a covered way or entrance, whether inclosed or uninclosed.
- n. A covered walk, or portico; a stoa.
- n. A veranda.
- n. Figuratively, the beginning or entrance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a structure attached to the exterior of a building often forming a covered entrance
The ancient porch, the remains of very old constructions, is masked by a fore-front that belongs to the last period of the gothic art, and which was built in 1494 by James of Landshut; this new porch (_porch of St. Laurence_), though handsome in its _ensemble_, is wanting in that noble simplicity and purity of taste that distinguishes the other parts of the Cathedral; it is overloaded with ornaments, and its statues have a stiffness that is found nowhere else.
As you can see, my porch is a sea of boxes, well a sea floor, with boxes coming and going.
His front porch is part of his castle, and I would appreciate respect.
One other thing ... apparently Palin's porch is some sort of 8th wonder of the world.
We'll have 2,500 square feet of living space, plus a screened-in porch and, since we'll have no garage, 350 square feet in the basement for storage and exercise/mechanical equipment.
Been raining for the last few days, and the gutter over my back porch is having an issue in one spot ... just happens that the spot is directly over my back door.
Really the only other big things to get are a patio set for the screened in porch, counter top, island for the kitchen, desk and book case.
We were sitting on Moms screened in porch and my phone beeped and it was a twitter update from Intern Adam (he works at 107.5 the River here in town) and he said "not sure if this is gossip but Steve McNair is dead"!!
Any one who would go out and get his feet stuck to the porch is one dedicated hunter thats for sure.
A small crowd gathered due to the disruption Gates was creating by spewing racial rhetoric from his front porch … and if you know the area you understand that the front porch is only about 5-6 ft from the side walk … Then Officer Crowley gave a few warnings to Gates to stop causing a scene before he was arrested.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.