from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A room, gallery, or glassed-in porch exposed to the sun.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An establishment with sunbeds in it or where one can rent sunbeds.
- n. A room, with many windows, exposed to the sun.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An apartment freely exposed to the sun; anciently, an apartment or inclosure on the roof of a house; in modern times, an apartment in a hospital, used as a resort for convalescents.
- n. Any one of several species of handsome marine spiral shells of the genus Solarium and allied genera. The shell is conical, and usually has a large, deep umbilicus exposing the upper whorls. Called also perspective shell.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sundial, fixed or portable. See dial, poke-dial, ring-dial, sun-dial.
- n. A place arranged to receive the sun's rays, usually a flat house-top, terrace; or open gallery, formerly used for pleasure only, but in modern times commonly as an adjunct of a hospital or sanatorium, in which case it is inclosed with glass; a room arranged with a view to giving patients sun-baths.
- n. The typical genus of Solariidæ, containing the staircase-shells, as the perspective shell, S. perspectivum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a room enclosed largely with glass and affording exposure to the sun
Latin sōlārium, terrace, flat housetop, from sōl, sun; see sāwel- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin sōlārium. (Wiktionary)