from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A narrow, often elevated walkway, as on the sides of a bridge or in the flies above a theater stage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an elevated enclosed passage providing access fore and aft from the bridge of a merchant vessel
- n. any similar elevated walkway
- n. A narrow elevated stage on which models parade; a runway
- n. the business of making clothes for fashion shows.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a narrow walkway projecting from a stage into the seating area of a theater; it is used, e. g. by models displaying clothes on it at a fashion show. Called also runway.
- n. a narrow walkway high in the air to allow workers access to parts of a structure otherwise difficult to reach. Catwalks are located, e.g. above a stage in a theater, between parts of a building, along the side of a bridge, on the outside of a railroad car, on the outside of a large storage tank, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. narrow platform extending out into an auditorium
- n. narrow pathway high in the air (as above a stage or between parts of a building or along a bridge)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Ms. Walker eschewed fashion traditions, never showing her clothes in catwalk shows and usually shunning the limelight, but she was named couture designer of the year at the 1990 British Fashion Awards.
The designer eschewed fashion traditions, never showing her clothes in catwalk shows and usually shunning the limelight, but was named couture designer of the year at the 1990 British Fashion Awards.
At the time, Mr. Armani was preparing for his January Priv é label catwalk, whose theme was the moon.
That final battle on the catwalk is incredibly intense because Vader's finally realized that he can't hold back with Luke; he has to go almost full-out.
The fashion press who turned up to the show at Brazil’s main catwalk venue in Rio de Janeiro have panned Coke’s clothing line, describing the collection as being ‘completely done’ and ‘unfortunate.’
The result on the catwalk was a chic, two-tone handbag with a sleek, understated feel, which falls in line with the minimalist diktats of recent Paris fashion weeks.
Come on girls, our catwalk is your chance to dream,the Telegraph reports.
Come on girls, our catwalk is your chance to dream, the Telegraph reports.
For these stars, walking the catwalk was a piece of cake.
Abbi Tatton is here on what some are calling catwalk chaos.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.