from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A walk made of wooden planks.
- n. A promenade, especially of planks, along a beach or waterfront.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a path for pedestrians, typically made out of wood and typically along a beach
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a walkway made of wooden boards; usually at a seaside. The more elaborate boardwalks at shore resorts are lined with many commercial retail establishments, on the side of the walk opposite the ocean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a walkway made of wooden boards; usually at seaside
board + walk (Wiktionary)