American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or constituting the basic, essential, or fundamental part: an elementary need for love and nurturing.
- adj. Of, relating to, or involving the fundamental or simplest aspects of a subject: an elementary problem in statistics.
- adj. Of or relating to an elementary school or elementary education: the elementary grades; elementary teachers.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or of the nature of an element or elements; primary; simple; uncompounded; incomplex: as, an elementary substance.
- Initial; rudimental; containing, teaching, or discussing first principles, rules, or rudiments: as, an elementary treatise or disquisition; elementary education; elementary schools.
- Treating of elements; collecting, digesting, or explaining principles: as, an elementary writer.
- Of the nature of an infinitesimal element or part.
- adj. Relating to the basic, essential or fundamental part of something.
- adj. Relating to an elementary school.
- adj. physics Relating to a subatomic particle.
- adj. archaic Sublunary; not celestial; belonging to the sublunary sphere, to which the four classical elements (earth, air, fire and water) were confined; composed of or pertaining to these four elements.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having only one principle or constituent part; consisting of a single element; simple; uncompounded.
- adj. Pertaining to, or treating of, the elements, rudiments, or first principles of anything; initial; rudimental; introductory.
- adj. Pertaining to one of the four elements, air, water, earth, fire.
- adj. of or being the essential or basic part
- adj. easy and not involved or complicated
- adj. of or pertaining to or characteristic of elementary school or elementary education
“The phrase is not stronger than that with which the Grammar of Science challenged the fight: Anything more hopelessly illogical than the statements with regard to Force and Matter current in elementary textbooks of science, it is difficult to imagine, opened Mr. Pearson, and the responsible author of the elementary textbook, as he went on to explain, was Lord Kelvin himself.”
“Strictly speaking, the term elementary as applied to most of the particles in the nucleus is inaccurate, for scientists now believe that all the particles except electrons are made of still more elementary particles called quarks.”
“The hackers, who call themselves LulzSec, said they pulled off what they described as an elementary attack to highlight Sony's "disgraceful" security.”
“Specifically, there aren't enough students in elementary and high school with an interest in STEM and there aren't enough university graduates in STEM to fill current and future open positions.”
“As well, we need more Catholics who believe along the lines of Fr. Schall in elementary and high school administration.”
“In rural Mali, many people speak and learn to write only Bambara in elementary school.”
“However, while in elementary and middle schools there is absolutely no need.”
“The “Ishikawa Children Comprehensive Act” [ja, pdf] Article 33 reads “Guardians must try not to let their students who are in elementary, middle, and specially supported schools have cell phones except in case of disaster prevention, crime prevention and any other special purposes.””
“One is in elementary school and one is in middle school.”
“I mentioned this before, but I recently realized that my attraction to zombie movies is I used to have recurring dreams, when I was in elementary school, where the entire world had either become zombies or vampires - my parents, my neighbors, every single person I ran across - and I was the only person left.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘elementary’.
All my favourite words that I come across!
Very basic words for ESL students.
words that challenged or marveled me as a kid.
The words on this list are difficult to spell for easy spellers but they should be known by fifth grade, by age 10.
I love words that start with E. They are usually quite descriptive.
Looking for tweets for elementary.