from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or located at or near the base, especially the base of the skull: the basilar artery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or located at a base, but especially at the base of the skull or a lung.
- adj. Lower; inferior; base.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to, or situated at, the base.
- adj. Lower; inferior; applied to impulses or springs of action.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to or situated at the base, especially of the skull.
- Lying or situated at the base; fundamental.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or located at the base
The curved, expanded plate behind the foramen magnum is named the squama; the thick, somewhat quadrilateral piece in front of the foramen is called the basilar part, whilst on either side of the foramen is the lateral portion.
Pressure waves activate the basilar membrane of the inner ear as authentically as a fingertip activates the forearm.
Her fingers scampered over the table, practicing the deft stitching of the basilar artery.
The cause of death was a subdural hematoma, due to a basilar skull fracture.
He was subsequently quoted as saying that only the clogging of his basilar artery is preventing the oxygen from making it to his brain.
Other complications can include macrocephaly—fluid on the brain—cerebral hemorrhage caused by birth trauma, brittle teeth, and for some Type IIIs, basilar invagination—the second vertebra moves upward and cuts off the opening in the skull where the spinal cord passes through to the brain, causing dizziness, headache, periods of confusion, numbness, or even death.
Americans need to retake their original principles (interdependent individualism and liberal democracy), where work was eminent (mainly among protestants), but where a societal sense was basilar.
GUPTA: Doctors say Britt suffered from a vertebral basilar stroke, caused by excessive neck manipulation to the spinal column.
É o pensamento basilar por detrás de mais uma paranóica corrida às armas, desta vez às ciber-armas.
The basilar vein glows blue through my translucent flesh.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.