from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A staff with a metal tip, carried as a sign of office.
- n. An officer, such as a bailiff or constable, who carries a tipstaff.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ceremonial staff, with a metal tip, carried by a constable or bailiff etc as a sign of office
- n. An officer, of a court etc. who carries such a staff
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A staff tipped with metal.
- n. An officer who bears a staff tipped with metal; a constable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A staff tipped or capped with metal; a staff having a crown or cap, formerly the badge of a constable or sheriff's officer.
- n. An officer bearing a tipstaff; especially, in England, a sheriff's officer charged with the execution of laws against debtors.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. staff with a metal tip carried as a sign of office by e.g. a bailiff or constable
Alteration of tipped staff.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)