from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of the recurrence of a trait reappearing after an absence of one or more generations due to a chance recombination of genes.
- adj. of a throwback or exhibiting primitivism.
- adj. relating to earlier, more primitive behavior that returns after an absence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. displaying characteristics of a previous cultural era or of a previous ancestral form; displaying atavism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or characterized by atavism; atavic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characteristic of an atavist
From atavism + -istic, from French atavisme, from Latin atavus ("ancestor"), from at + avus ("grandfather"). (Wiktionary)