from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Slang Easily predictable; automatic: "quick, easy laughs and knee-jerk responses” ( New York).
- adj. Slang Reacting spontaneously in the expected manner: a knee-jerk cynic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Automatic, spontaneous, easily predictable
- n. A sudden reflexive movement of the leg below the knee, as a reaction to a tap to the tendon just below the patella (kneecap).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sudden jerking of the knee, caused by a contraction of the quadriceps femoris, evoked by a blow on the patellar tendon or in any way that gives the quadriceps a sudden tug. Also called patellar tendon reflex and knee-kick.
He also accused Cameron of promoting what he called "knee-jerk gimmicks" to address the problems.
And for any of you whining pantwetting conservatives out there who spout your knee-jerk "liberal media conspiracy" nonsense all the time, keep this in mind ... or try ... in whatever passes as a mind for you people.
They hate our society so much that their knee-jerk reaction is to condemn in the most vile terms anything that may protect our country.
Another who said she was a "knee-jerk, bleeding heart liberal."
The knee-jerk reaction as expected from a right-wing extremist like Inhofe to focus on a non-issue like gays in the military.
This is the kiss of death for any voter who wants to avoid another Repugnican knee-jerk neo-con.
I wish I knew a way that was fair, and not a knee-jerk reaction against the bean counters from their companies who figured out how to cut those jobs and save money! keith in Austin
What we all know is those who live on knee-jerk reaction will either absolutely love or hate her.
If Obama made a comment that the sun rises in the East, the Rethugs would knee-jerk counter it by saying that it's another "librul lie" and try to claim that the sun rises in the west ..... regardless of how insipid they appeared.
The initial knee-jerk reactions of republicans is not surprising.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.