from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thick, colorless to pale yellow liquid, C4H8O2, obtained from acetaldehyde and used in perfumery and as a solvent.
- n. A similar aldehyde.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any aldehyde or ketone having a hydroxy group in the beta- position
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A colorless liquid, C4H8O2, obtained by condensation of two molecules of acetaldehyde: CH3CHO + CH3CHO = H3CH(OH)CH2CO; also, any of various derivatives of this. The same reaction has been applied, under the name of aldol condensation, to the production of many compounds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A compound, CH3CHOHCH2CHO, formed by the condensation of acetaldehyde by means of zinc chlorid. The official name is butanalol-3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an oily colorless liquid obtained by the condensation of two molecules of acetaldehyde; contains an alcohol group (-OH) and an aldehyde group (-CHO)
ald(ehyde) + -ol1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From aldehyde + -ol ("alcohol") (Wiktionary)