American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Directed or turned backward or downward.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In botany and zoology, turned back; directed backward; retral.
- In ornithology, turned in a direction the opposite of the usual one, without reference to any other line or plane; antrorse. See the quotation.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Bent backward or downward.
- adj. bent or curved backward or downward
- Latin retrorsus, retroversus; retro back + vertere, versum, to turn. Compare retrovert. (Wiktionary)
- Latin retrōrsus, from retrōversus : retrō-, retro- + versus, past participle of vertere, to turn; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The fish you really have to watch out for is the candirú, a toothpick-shaped catfish that wriggles into bodily orifices, throws out retrorse spines, and can be removed only through surgery.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘retrorse’.
A list of terms containing the string -retro-.
Please feel free to help me populate this list!
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Oddments culled from my "main" lists that belong in a display cabinet of their own, plus sundry other curiosities. :-)
words in the nature of double spirals
Looking for tweets for retrorse.