from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Gray or white with or as if with age.
- adj. Covered with grayish hair or pubescence: hoary leaves.
- adj. So old as to inspire veneration; ancient.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. white or gray with age
- adj. of a pale silvery gray.
- adj. covered with short, dense, grayish white hairs; canescent
- adj. remote in time past
- adj. moldy; mossy; musty
- adj. old, or old-fashioned
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. White or whitish.
- adj. White or gray with age; hoar.
- adj. remote in time past.
- adj. Moldy; mossy; musty.
- adj. Of a pale silvery gray.
- adj. Covered with short, dense, grayish white hairs; canescent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- White or whitish.
- White or gray with age: as, hoary hairs.
- Figuratively, remote in time past: as, hoary antiquity.
- 4. Musty; moldy: as, hoary bread.
- In botany and entomology, covered with short, dense, grayish-white hairs; canescent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. ancient
- adj. covered with fine whitish hairs or down
- adj. showing characteristics of age, especially having grey or white hair
hoar + -y (Wiktionary)