from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Sanctioned or authorized by long-standing custom or usage.
- adj. Making or giving injunctions, directions, laws, or rules.
- adj. Law Acquired by or based on uninterrupted possession.
- adj. Linguistics Based on or establishing norms or rules indicating how a language should or should not be used rather than describing the ways in which a language is used.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to prescribing or enjoining, especially an action or behavior based on a norm or standard.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting in, or acquired by, immemorial or long-continued use and enjoyment; ; pleading the continuance and authority of long custom.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the doctrine that acceptable grammatical rules should be prescribed by authority, rather than be determined by common usage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Arising from established usage or opinion; customary.
- Specifically, in law, pertaining to, resulting from, or based upon prescription.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. pertaining to giving directives or rules
Sorry, no etymologies found.