from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not written or recorded: an unwritten agreement between friends.
- adj. Having authority based on custom, tradition, or usage rather than documentation: an unwritten law.
- adj. Not written on; blank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Spoken or otherwise communicated other than in writing.
- adj. Implicit or understood but not formally articulated.
- v. Past participle of unwrite
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not written; not reduced to writing; oral.
- adj. Containing no writing; blank.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not written; not reduced to writing; oral; traditional: as, unwritten laws; unwritten customs.
- Not written upon; blank; containing no writing.
- Not distinctly expressed, laid down, or formulated, but generally understood and acknowledged as binding: as, an unwritten rule; an unwritten constitution.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. using speech rather than writing
- adj. said or done without having been planned or written in advance
- adj. based on custom rather than documentation
Sorry, no etymologies found.