American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not written or recorded: an unwritten agreement between friends.
- adj. Having authority based on custom, tradition, or usage rather than documentation: an unwritten law.
- adj. Not written on; blank.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not written; not reduced to writing; oral; traditional: as, unwritten laws; unwritten customs.
- Not written upon; blank; containing no writing.
- Not distinctly expressed, laid down, or formulated, but generally understood and acknowledged as binding: as, an unwritten rule; an unwritten constitution.
- adj. Spoken or otherwise communicated other than in writing.
- adj. Implicit or understood but not formally articulated.
- v. Past participle of unwrite
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. using speech rather than writing
- adj. said or done without having been planned or written in advance
- adj. based on custom rather than documentation
“I think it has a beautiful resolution and, unlike the case with a traditional short story, the limited word length often forces some of these elements to remain unwritten, that is, hinted at or implied in the written storyline.”
“Doctrines of Hell, and purgatory, the power of Exorcisme, and other Doctrines which have no warrant, neither in Reason, nor Scripture; as also all those Traditions which they call the unwritten Word of God; but old Wives Fables?”
“Lastly, for the errors brought in from false or uncertain history, what is all the legend of fictitious miracles in the lives of the saints; and all the histories of apparitions and ghosts alleged by the doctors of the Roman Church, to make good their doctrines of hell and purgatory, the power of exorcism, and other doctrines which have no warrant, neither in reason nor Scripture; as also all those traditions which they call the unwritten word of”
“Lastly, for the errors brought in from false or uncertain history, what is all the legend of fictitious miracles in the lives of the saints; and all the histories of apparitions and ghosts alleged by the doctors of the Roman Church, to make good their doctrines of hell and purgatory, the power of exorcism, and other doctrines which have no warrant, neither in reason nor Scripture; as also all those traditions which they call the unwritten word of God; but old wives 'fables?”
“A book unwritten is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities.”
“My finals remain unwritten, my morning shower un-taken because I am mesmerized by the fascinating case of Priya Venkatesan.”
“God knows that the implicit creedalism (or what they themselves referred to as the unwritten orthodoxies. . .) of the "fundamentalist atheist" Humanists at the Unitarian Church of Montreal were enforce through informal means (e.g. peer pressure *my* theological views feel far from welcome) and indeed formal means such as threatening make with expulsion for complaining about the "informal" peer pressure such as labeling Creation Day as a cult. . .”
“We kind of follow certain unwritten rulling that indicates to us that directors who didn't - for one reason or another - made a little splash on the intellect mark, may not be that worthy.”
“This pledge is sometimes referred to as the unwritten "fourth article" of the Treaty, and is said to protect and recognise not only major western religions, but also Maori custom.”
“Some indeed say, Luke, because of the history which he wrote, but some, Barnabas; for he calls the unwritten preaching also Gospel.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘unwritten’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for unwritten.