American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Still in existence; not destroyed, lost, or extinct: extant manuscripts.
- adj. Archaic Standing out; projecting.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Standing out or above any surface; protruding.
- Conspicuous; manifest; evident; publicly known.
- Now being; now subsisting; still existing; not destroyed or lost: as, the extant works of the Greek philosophers.
- adj. Still in existence.
- adj. Currently existing; not having disappeared.
- adj. Still alive; not extinct.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Standing out or above any surface; protruded.
- adj. Still existing; not destroyed or lost; outstanding.
- adj. obsolete Publicly known; conspicuous.
- adj. still in existence; not extinct or destroyed or lost
- First attested in 1545, from Latin extantem, from extō, from ex- ("out") + stō ("stand"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin exstāns, exstant-, present participle of exstāre, to stand out : ex-, ex- + stāre, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Every newly discovered species, extinct or extant, is a potential falsification.”
“The jaw bones in extant reptiles can transmit sound to the inner ear.”
“Well, there's somewhat of a Gap in extant organisms between humans and other apes.”
“How about making them remove and dispose of every “Obama/Biden” bumper sticker and sign in extant today?”
“If you can't follow why it would be an evolutionary advantage in extant organisms, then there is no way to discuss the forces that led to its origin.”
“The nested hierarchy is pervasive in extant and extinct life, morphology and genomics.”
“No musical setting has survived for the words as they appear in extant published versions of the Obi melodrama.”
“The letters still extant from the princes of the East to Sapor are manifest forgeries; 151 nor is it natural to suppose that a jealous monarch should, even in the person of a rival, thus publicly degrade the majesty of kings.”
“The most ancient act of donation that pretends to be extant, is that of the emperor Lewis the Pious,”
“Note: The oldest Indian collection extant is the Pancha-tantra,”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘extant’.
looks like there's not an open Moby Dick list. So now there is.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
words i need to memorize
Looking for tweets for extant.