from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Still in existence; not destroyed, lost, or extinct: extant manuscripts.
- adj. Archaic Standing out; projecting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Still in existence.
- adj. Currently existing; not having disappeared.
- adj. Still alive; not extinct.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Standing out or above any surface; protruded.
- adj. Still existing; not destroyed or lost; outstanding.
- adj. Publicly known; conspicuous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Standing out or above any surface; protruding.
- Conspicuous; manifest; evident; publicly known.
- Now being; now subsisting; still existing; not destroyed or lost: as, the extant works of the Greek philosophers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. still in existence; not extinct or destroyed or lost
Latin exstāns, exstant-, present participle of exstāre, to stand out : ex-, ex- + stāre, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
First attested in 1545, from Latin extantem, from extō, from ex- ("out") + stō ("stand"). (Wiktionary)