from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Still in existence; not destroyed, lost, or extinct: extant manuscripts.
- adj. Archaic Standing out; projecting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Still in existence.
- adj. Currently existing; not having disappeared.
- adj. Still alive; not extinct.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Standing out or above any surface; protruded.
- adj. Still existing; not destroyed or lost; outstanding.
- adj. Publicly known; conspicuous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Standing out or above any surface; protruding.
- Conspicuous; manifest; evident; publicly known.
- Now being; now subsisting; still existing; not destroyed or lost: as, the extant works of the Greek philosophers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. still in existence; not extinct or destroyed or lost
Every newly discovered species, extinct or extant, is a potential falsification.
The jaw bones in extant reptiles can transmit sound to the inner ear.
Well, there's somewhat of a Gap in extant organisms between humans and other apes.
How about making them remove and dispose of every “Obama/Biden” bumper sticker and sign in extant today?
If you can't follow why it would be an evolutionary advantage in extant organisms, then there is no way to discuss the forces that led to its origin.
The nested hierarchy is pervasive in extant and extinct life, morphology and genomics.
No musical setting has survived for the words as they appear in extant published versions of the Obi melodrama.
The letters still extant from the princes of the East to Sapor are manifest forgeries; 151 nor is it natural to suppose that a jealous monarch should, even in the person of a rival, thus publicly degrade the majesty of kings.
The most ancient act of donation that pretends to be extant, is that of the emperor Lewis the Pious,
Note: The oldest Indian collection extant is the Pancha-tantra,
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.