from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or situated near the tongue or a tonguelike organ.
- adj. Linguistics Pronounced with the tongue in conjunction with other organs of speech.
- adj. Of languages; linguistic: lingual diversity.
- n. Linguistics A sound, such as (t), (l), and (n), that is pronounced with the tongue and other organs of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Related to the tongue.
- adj. Related to language or linguistics.
- adj. articulated with the tongue
- adj. Of a lower tooth, on the side facing the tongue. See mesial.
- n. a sound articulated with the tongue
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the tongue; uttered by the aid of the tongue; glossal
- adj. lying near the tongue; especially, in dentistry, on the surface of the tooth next to the tongue. Contrasted with
buccal, the side of a tooth touching the cheek, i. e. the side opposite to the lingual side.
- n. A consonant sound formed by the aid of the tongue; -- a term especially applied to certain articulations (as those of t, d, th, and n) and to the letters denoting them.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anatomy and zoology: Of or pertaining to the tongue; glossal.
- Of or pertaining to a lingua or any tongue-like part See. phrases.
- Pronounced by or chiefly by the tongue: variously applied to sounds made with the tip or forward part of the tongue, as t, d, etc. (also called dental), or especially to the peculiar Sanskrit t, d, etc. (also called cacuminal, cerebral), forming a distinct class from the Sanskrit dentals, and pronounced with the tip of the tongue drawn back.
- Relating or pertaining to utterance, or of the use of the tongue in speaking: as, lingual corruptions of words or language.
- n. A letter pronounced in the manner described in I., 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. pertaining to or resembling or lying near the tongue
- n. a consonant that is produced with the tongue and other speech organs
- adj. consisting of or related to language
From Medieval Latin linguis, from Latin lingua ("tongue, speech"). (Wiktionary)