from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to tones, a tone, or tonality.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to tones or tonality.
- adj. Employing tones that have a predictable relationship to some tonic.
- adj. Employing differences in pitch (tones) to distinguish differences in the meaning of otherwise similar words (words which would otherwise be homophonic).
- n. An animal companion which accompanies a person from birth to death.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to muscular tonicity.
- In music, of or pertaining to tones.
- Pertaining to tonality: as, a tonal fugue.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. employing variations in pitch to distinguish meanings of otherwise similar words
- adj. having tonality; i.e. tones and chords organized in relation to one tone such as a keynote or tonic
tone + -al (Wiktionary)
From Nahuatl tōnalli ("day, day sign") (Wiktionary)