from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a pattern of checks or squares: checked cloth.
- adj. Held in check; restrained.
- adj. Linguistics Situated in a stopped or closed syllable: a checked vowel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a pattern of checks; checkered.
- adj. Of syllables, having a coda.
- adj. Of consonants, glottalized.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of check.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Held back from some action especially by force.
- adj. having a pattern of alternating dark and light squares in rows and columns.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Checkered or variegated.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. patterned with alternating squares of color
Sorry, no etymologies found.