from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To turn aside or cause to turn aside; bend or deviate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make (something) deviate from its original path.
- v. To deviate from its original path.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To turn aside; to deviate from a right or a horizontal line, or from a proper position, course or direction; to swerve.
- transitive v. To cause to turn aside; to bend.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cause to turn aside; turn or bend from a right line or a regular course.
- To turn away or aside; deviate from a true course or a right line; swerve.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. draw someone's attention away from something
- v. impede the movement of (an opponent or a ball)
- v. turn aside and away from an initial or intended course
- v. prevent the occurrence of; prevent from happening
- v. turn from a straight course, fixed direction, or line of interest
Does she think if she screams "Death Panels" it will deflect from the very unflattering Vanity Fair article about her?
Have you forgotten this or are the pathetic misleading and anti police stories your idea of reigniting the class war to deflect from the current ills of the New Labour Government.
Meanwhile the GOP has embraced the tenets of the KKK at the core values level and all you can do is deflect from the evil that you “now” represent.
Overtly talking about “McCarthyism” or depicting a desire for transparency in govt. as somehow indicating a crypto-McCarthyite interest serves to deflect from the high and holy office attorneys too often imagine themselves holding.
Michael B: Overtly talking about “McCarthyism” or depicting a desire for transparency in govt. as somehow indicating a crypto-McCarthyite interest serves to deflect from the high and holy office attorneys too often imagine themselves holding.
The dog for the girls, the rant on Wall Street bonuses, the rumour (according to Andrew Neil) that Michelle is pregnant, rather deflect from the issues he faces.
Because all they want is attention and engagement to distract and deflect from the topic.
McCain knows he needs to deflect from the issues to stay in the game.
Way to deflect from the fact that his own lack of foreign policy experience has been exposed.
Obviously, she missed it or she tried to deflect from the question ever so unsuccessfully john
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.