from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thin cylindrical strip of metal or other material bent in the shape of a long U, used to secure a hairdo or headdress.
- n. Something shaped like a hairpin, especially a sharp turn in a road.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characterized by an abrupt or extreme bend; shaped like a hairpin.
- n. A pin or fastener for the hair.
- n. A kind of ribozyme; Hairpin ribozyme.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pin, usually forked, or of bent wire, for fastening the hair in place, -- used by women.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pin used to support braids or plaits of hair, or to maintain the head-dress, of whatever description, in its proper place.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a double pronged pin used to hold women's hair in place
A compound of hair + pin. The adjective form recalls the tight bend characteristic of a hairpin. (Wiktionary)