from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something that has a sharp bend, especially a road or route that bends abruptly.
- n. A sharp bend or turn: Make a dogleg at the fire station and continue south.
- n. Sports A golf hole in which the fairway is abruptly angled.
- intransitive v. To make a sharp bend or turn: The street doglegs to the left.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To bend in the shape of the hind leg of a dog.
- n. A sharp bend in the fairway (before the hole)
- n. A configuration of stairs where a flight ascends to a half landing before turning 180 degrees and continuing upwards.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a golf hole with a sharp angle in the fairway
- n. angle that resembles the hind leg of a dog
Sorry, no etymologies found.