from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Muffled; indistinct: a muted voice.
- adj. Mute or subdued; softened: muted colors.
- adj. Music Produced by or provided with a mute.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of mute.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. same as quiet. Opposite of
- adj. softened; rendered less loud or harsh; -- of sounds and instruments which produce sounds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of musical instruments, played with a mute: as, muted strings or muted horns. Also applied to the tones thus produced.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. in a softened tone
- adj. being or made softer or less loud or clear
Sorry, no etymologies found.