Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Wrapped up closely, especially about the face; concealed from view; also, blinded by or as by something wrapped about the face and covering the eyes.
- Dulled or deadened: applied to a sounding body or to the sound produced by it.
- Having feathered feet, such as are found in many breeds of domesticated pigeons: thus a black, self-muffled tumbler is a tumbler of uniform black color with the feet and lower part of the tarsus feathered.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of muffle.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. same as muted.
- adj. Wrapped up especially for protection or secrecy.
- adj. wrapped up especially for protection or secrecy
- adj. being or made softer or less loud or clear
““Chicken,” she said at last, the word muffled by the food in her cheek.”
“Down 10-3 at the half, Wisconsin muffled a crowd of 105,449 by scoring on its first two possessions of the third quarter.”
“If there's the slightest hint of characters fighting on bravely no matter what the odds, I break down in muffled sobs.”
“Frisco Kid took up the tale at once, speaking in muffled undertone close to the other's ear.”
“Then again, it could be my name muffled by the cats laying on top of it.”
“Beyond the wall to his right he heard what he could only identify as a muffled explosion.”
“Stand clear of the door!" called a muffled voice.”
“That you, Ben?" called a muffled voice from the adobe.”
“He would recall the muffled thump of distant mortars and the pungent odor of cordite.”
“With others I can feel them just as well, they just seem more "muffled".”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘muffled’.
words that describe sound
My big word list.
Palavras que pesquiso desde 2011.
Criteria of a word to be placed on list: no simple words like if or the, and it must be a word i love.
Looking for tweets for muffled.